• JFile: :copy: Cannot find or read file: $/home/mharris/public_html/images/stories/picture280211_lisucd_report.jpg

Gary Browne shows his delight at opening the scoring (Picture: Darren Kidd/


LISBURN Distillery struck a huge blow for the Irish League with victory over U.C.D. to reach the quarter-finals of the Setanta Sports Cup.

And it completed a remarkable seven days for the Whites. Last Monday night they were dumped out of the Irish Cup by Ballinamallard United but all that was forgotten after goals from Gary Thompson and Scott Davidson brought some pride back to the local game in a competition that traditionally has brought mixed results.

Gary Browne fired Tommy Wright's side into the lead on 18 minutes with a successfully converted penalty awarded after Gary Thompson had been upended by Yael Haro.

The students, seeking what would have been an important away goal following the scoreless first leg in Dublin, came close through Sean Harding who fired just wide before the break.

Then, in the second half, a Haro header from a Paul Corry corner suffered a similar fate.

But home nerves were settled four minutes from time when substitute Davidson - only on the pitch five minutes - met a David Cushley free-kick to send a slightly deflected strike from the edge of the area beyond 'keeper Gerard Barron.

Lisburn Distillery 2-0 UCD
(Lisburn Distillery win 2-0 on aggregate)

Lisburn Distillery: Brennan, McShane, Kilmartin, G. Thompson, Ferguson, Browne, Cooling, Patton, Simpson, S. Thompson, Callaghan subs Matthews (not used), Hunter (not used), Davidson (replaced G. Thompson 81), Cushley (replaced Patton 76), Forsythe (not used), Devlin (not used), Boyle (not used)

UCD: Barron, Leahy, Haro, Harding, Nangle, Meenan, Creevy, Corry, D. O'Connor, Rusk, Marshall subs McGinley (not used), Ledwith (not used), Boyle (not used), P. O'Connor (not used), Morrison (replaced Harding 76), O'Callaghan (replaced Meenan 46), Belhuit (replaced Marshall 81)

Referee: Colin Burns (Comber)