Aaron Arkinson (55)


Stephen Curry (52)
Jamie McIntyre (63)
Kyle Friel Curran (72)
Jamie McIntyre (75)
Kyle Friel Curran (84)


Jamie McIntyre scored twice for 'Stute (Picture: Stephen Hamilton/PressEye.com)


Any outside hopes Dergview had of gatecrashing the promotion play-off party were ended at Darragh Park as neighbours Institute scored three times in the closing stages to secure a convincing away victory.

Following a scoreless first half the game sprang to life after the interval when an Aaron Arkinson goal cancelled out Stephen Curry's 52nd minute opener for the visitors.

There followed a pivotal period. On 58 minutes Nathan Cashel spurned an excellent opportunity to nudge the Derg men ahead and within three minutes Stute instead got their noses in front when Jamie McIntyre swooped following a short corner.

Thereafter the Drumahoe men simply purred through the gears with Derg old boy Kyle Friel-Curran helping himself to a splendid brace in killing off the hopes of his previous employers.

Despite the lack of goals, the first half proved an open and entertaining affair with both sides creating a number of chances.

Arkinson had an effort brilliantly pushed away for a corner by Stute net-minder Marty Gallagher and towards the close of the half Garth Falconer sent a pile-driver fizzing over the crossbar.

In between Niall Grace went close for the visitors before Dergview centre-back Shane Porter cleared a shot off the line.

In stark contrast to the opening 45 minutes the goals came thick and fast in the second.

Stute struck first seven minutes after the restart with Stephen Curry latching onto an incisive pass to poke the ball past the advancing Stefan McCusker.

The opener came after Ryan Campbell had sent an effort inches by a post and Falconer had failed to guide an inviting Arkinson cross on target at the other end.

But Dergvew were back on terms less than two minutes later when Arkinson swooped to hammer a low shot into the corner of the net.

Shortly afterwards that Cashel chance went begging and Stute duly took full advantage.

McIntyre pounced following a short corner and on 77 minutes it was 3-1 when Friel-Curran, who joined Stute from Dergvew in the January transfer window, scampered clear to round McCusker and slide the ball into an empty net.

That effectively killed off the Derg challenge and their opponents finished with a flourish to put a real gloss on the final score line.

On 80 minutes visiting skipper Micheal McCrudden carved apart the home rearguard for McIntyre to grab his second with an accomplished finish.

And a minute from time Friel-Curran at the final say by again beating McCusker when put through one-on-one.

Dergview: McCusker, Walsh, Falconer, Wray, S. Porter, Burns, Ballard, Arkinson, McManus, Cashel, Campbell subs Robinson, M. Buchanan (replaced S. Porter 80), Forsythe (not used), Lynch (replaced Cashel 87), Wallace (replaced McManus 72)

Institute: Gallagher, Curran, D. Curry, McDermott, Scoltock, Foy, S. Curry, Grace, Brown, McCrudden, McIntyre subs Devlin (replaced Brown 70), R. Morrow (replaced D. Curry 70), Pomeroy (not used), A. Harkin (replaced S. Curry 75), Muldoon (not used)

Referee: Tim Marshall

Tags:  Dergview  Institute