Ryan McCready (61)
Ryan McCready (64)
Daniel Hanna (75)


Matthew Ferguson (01)
James Wright (03)
Matthew Ferguson (28)
Francis Dugan (52)


Despite a battling comeback from Queen's, Francis Dugan (left) was the matchwinner for Lisburn Distillery with his goal on 52 minutes. (©David Hunter)


Lisburn Distillery progressed into the next round of the BetMcLean League Cup following an enthralling defeat of Queen's University at The Dub.

The Whites raced into an early lead with two goals in the opening three minutes.

Matthew Ferguson kicked things off with a fantastic overhead kick into the top left corner from an Alan McMurtry cross which had been initially headed out.

Then, moments later, James Wright added a second from another McMurtry delivery.

And Ferguson almost made it 3-0 not long after that only to rattle the ball against the crossbar before going one better just before the half-hour mark with a header beyond keeper Declan Brown from Aaron Harris' free-kick.

The rampant visitors had the ball in the net for a fourth time when Francis Dugan thought he had marked his debut with a goal only for it to be ruled out offside while, towards the break, McMurtry turned a 25-yard volley against the woodwork.

It was 4-0 on 52 minutes, however, with Dugan finally getting on the scoresheet with a finish into the bottom right from Timmy Clarke's through ball.

Queen's looked to find a way back into the game and pulled two goals back through Ryan McCready in quick succession just after the hour.

He reduced the deficit on 61 minutes with a header past Jonah Nicholl after finding space inside the box. And he struck again three minutes after that from, once again, an unmarked position.

Daniel Hanna then set up a grandstand finish with a close range tap-in with a quarter-of-an-hour remaining but it proved to be too little, too late to force extra-time.

Queen's University: Brown, Henderson, Corry, Hanna, McManus, Walsh, Roper, Foster, Rooney, Mulholland, O'Hare subs McCready (replaced Mulholland 52), Crawford (replaced Roper 55), Orr (not used), Lavery (replaced Rooney 76)

Lisburn Distillery: Nicholl, McMurtry, Clarke, Byrne, Reid, Wright, McCaw, Harris, Ferguson, Dugan, Young subs Saunders (not used), Beta (replaced Byrne 85), Swann (not used), Storey (not used)

Referee: Declan Hassan