Joe McCready (90 1)


Cathair Friel (50)
James Knowles (71p)


Cathair Friel opened the scoring (©


Ballymena United moved into fourth spot with victory over Institute at the Brandywell.

Scoreless at the break, both sides had their chances. Aaron Harkin has blazed over for the home side while, for the visitors, Andy McGrory had the ball in the net but Adam Lecky was penalised for handling in the build-up.

Later in the half Lecky went close with an audacious back-heel which was dealt with competently by 'Stute keeper Martin Gallagher.

Paddy McLaughlin's might have found a way through when Michael McCrudden linked up with Ronan Wilson, but his shot skimmed the bar when it looked easier to score.

The deadlock was broken five minutes into the second half when Cathair Friel got on the end of a James Knowles free-kick to direct the ball past Gallagher whilst unmarked.

At the other end Ronan Doherty made room for himself on the edge of the box and drilled a right-foot effort inches wide of Ross Glendinning's left-hand post while Stephen Curry saw a shot deflected narrowly wide.

But Ballymena doubled their lead on 71 minutes from the spot. McCrudden was adjudged to have upended Kofi Balmer with Knowles stepping up to confidently convert.

Joe McCready pulled one back for 'Stute in stoppage time with a tap past Glendinning from a cross.

Institute: Gallagher, McLaughlin, Bonner, D. Curry, Doherty, A. Harkin, McCrudden, Moorehead, Jarvis, McIntyre, Wilson subs Dunne (not used), S. Curry (replaced McIntyre 25), Scoltock (not used), J. Morrow (replaced Wilson 63), Brown (not used), McCready (replaced A. Harkin 75), McCallion (not used)

Ballymena United: Ro. Glendinning, Whiteside, Friel, Knowles, McCullough, McGrory, Balmer, Winchester, Ervin, Lecky, Millar subs McDermott (not used), Kane (replaced Winchester 28), Quigley (not used), Addis (not used), Mayse (replaced Lecky 88), Faulkner (not used), Re. Glendinning (not used)

Referee: Keith Kennedy

Attendance: 420

Tags:  Ballymena United  Institute