Jonathan Addis (52)
Leroy Millar (59)


Andrew Waterworth (04)


Jonathan Addis levels for Ballymena United (©INPHO/Mark Marlow)


Ballymena United returned to the top of the table with this defeat of morning leaders Linfield at The Showgrounds.

Linfield needed just four minutes to seize the advantage after the home defence were caught unawares when Stephen Fallon's cross from the right was poked home by Andrew Waterworth.

Both sides had the ball in the net in the next ten minutes but both efforts, from Jude Winchester and Waterworth were ruled out offside by the officials.

Linfield keeper Roy Carroll had to be alert midway through the first half when Millar let fly with a pacy effort from just outside the area with the big Fermanagh man doing well to dive to his right to turn the ball behind for a corner.

The visitors might have extended their lead just before the break after a Niall Quinn corner was headed on by Jimmy Callacher for Stephen Fallon but his effort was gathered on the line by Thomas McDermott.

Ballymena levelled seven minutes into the second half through Jonathan Addis who appeared to get his head to a Steven McCullough left-foot free-kick just ahead of team-mate Cathair Friel.

Then, seven minutes after that, the Sky Blues edged in front when Millar finally got the ball past Carrol with a low left-foot drive from the corner of the box.

David Jeffrey's side pushed to add to their lead but Friel was denied by Carroll after a great cross from Millar before Tony Kane saw a fierce drive palmed behind for a corner.

Linfield could have secured a point later in the game when a Quinn corner was nodded by Jimmy Callacher just wide of the target.

Ballymena United: McDermott, Addis, Friel, Knowles, McCullough, Balmer, Winchester, Ervin, Lecky, Millar, Glendinning subs McCauley (not used), Quigley (not used), Nolan (replaced Winchester 90+3), Burns (not used), Kane (replaced Glendnning 21), Shevlin (not used), McMurray (not used)

Linfield: Carroll, Robinson, Callacher, Waterworth, Cooper, Millar, Fallon, Mulgrew, Garrett, Quinn, Casement subs Deane (not used), Stafford (not used), O’Connor (replaced Garrett 68), Stewart (replaced Cooper 77), Forde (replaced Millar 81), Clarke (not used), Mitchell (not used)

Referee: Ian McNabb

Attendance: 2319

Tags:  Ballymena United  Linfield