Adam Lecky (16)


Philip Donnelly (38)
Hernany Macedo Marques (81)


Hernany Marques celebrates scoring Warrenpoint's winner (©INPHO/Matt Mackey)


Ballymena United slipped to a second home defeat in three outings with this reversal to Warrenpoint Town at The Showgrounds.

The Sky Blues got off to a great start, having penalty appeals waved away as early as the third minute and then striking the woodwork through Steven McCullough from around 20 yards soon after.

Then, on 16 minutes, they moved in front courtesy of Adam Lecky's turn and finish into the bottom corner from Jude Winchester's cross.

Tony Kane then went close with a half volley just over the top before 'Point threatened when Seanan Foster nodded just wide from Eamon Scannell's cross.

The visitors levelled on 38 minutes. Shots from Anton Reilly and Hernany Marques were blocked before, at the third attempt, Philip Donnelly fired beneath Ross Glendinning and into the net.

United might have regained the advantage before the break only for Andy McGrory to see his shot, seemingly destined forthe top corner, tipped over keeper Berraat Turker.

Neither side seemed capable of creating anything more than trading half chances in the second half until, with nine minutes remaining, Hernany Marques knocked home what proved to be Warrenpoint's winner from the rebound after Lee Duffy's initial free-kick from just outside the area had been turned away by Glendinning.

Indeed, 'Point might have added a third in the closing moments when Foster fired over from Matthew Lynch's lay-off.

The win moves Warrenpoint to within four points of seventh placed Glentoran in the race for a spot in the end of season Europa League play-offs.

Ballymena United: Glendinning, Kane, Quigley, Addis, Mayse, McCullough, McGrory, Winchester, Ervin, Lecky, Watson subs Williamson, Whiteside, McGinty, Burns, Nolan, Shevlin, McMurray 

Warrenpoint Town: Turker, Foster, Hughes, Reilly, M. Lynch, Scannell, O'Connor, Wallace, Donnelly, Hernany Marques, Young subs Moan, Kelly, McGrandles, J. Lynch, Duffy, Byrne, Magowan

Referee: Ian McNabb

Attendance: 884