Ciaran O'Connor (03)
Ciaran O'Connor (84)


Ciaran O'Connor scored twice for Warrenpoint (©INPHO/Lorcan Doherty)


Two Ciaran O'Connor goals helped Warrenpoint Town claim a potentially vital victory over Dungannon Swifts at Stangmore Park.

Warrenpoint raced into the lead after just three minutes. Swifts keeper Alex Moore delivered a less than impressive clearance upon which O'Connor latched to keep his composure and divert the ball home.

And the visitors might have doubled their advantage on 12 minutes when Mark Griffin got his head to corner only for Chris Hegarty to clear the threat off he line.

Dungannon came into the game more after that, coming close through Kris Lowe from a Mark Patton cross but Aaron McCarey did well to save.

Indeed, McCarey proved difficult to beat, also denying Seanan Clucas before getting down well to smother a Daniel Hughes spot-kick awarded after Eamon Scannell was adjudged to have handled Douglas Wilson's free-kick.

'Point came close within moments of the second half after Fra McCaffrey found Griffin but his shot from an acute angle was cleared.

Then, a few minutes after that, Jarlath O'Rourke found himself in possession in the box but Hegarty was on hand to clear the danger.

Both sides could have found the net just after the hour. Eamon Scannell saw a corner eventually scrambled clear after three different players attempted to turn it over the line while Ally Teggart's delivery at the other end almost went straight in with Ryan Harpur's follow up sailing over.

And Harpur threatened again with a low half volley while Paul McElroy saw a shot well gathered as the Swifts looked for the equaliser.

However, the game was eventually settled six minutes from time.

O'Connor was brought down by David Armstrong in the box to not only concede a penalty but collect his second caution of the game thus reducing Dungannon to ten men. Composing himself, O'Connor stepped up to send the spot-kick against the upright but reacted quickly to knock home the rebound to double Warrenpoint's lead.

Dungannon Swifts: Moore, Hegarty, Wilson, Armstrong, Hughes, McMullan, McElroy, O'Rourke, Patton, Lowe, Campbell subs Addis (not used), Dykes (not used), Clucas (replaced Campbell 12), Harpur (replaced McMullan 46), Teggart (replaced Patton 60), Burke (not used), Smyth (not used)

Warrenpoint Town: McCarey, Hughes, Norton, Kelly, Griffin, McGrandles, O'Sullivan, McCaffrey, Watters, Scannell, O'Connor subs Türker (not used), J. Lynch (replaced McCaffrey 80), M. Lynch (replaced Scannell 82), Donnelly (replaced Griffin 72), Halfpenny (not used), Magowan (not used)

Referee: Tony Clarke

Attendance: 279