Ryan Mayse (56)


Ryan Mayse celebrates what proved to be the winning goal (Picture: Andrew Paton/PressEye.com)


A Ryan Mayse goal early in the second half was enough to secure all three points for Ballinamallard United from Cliftonville's visit to Ferney Park.

A quiet start to the game, the opening exchanges could only offer up a Daniel Hughes header over the top from a Martin Donnelly cross.

Unfortunately the first half really failed to spring into life although there was a moment of danger when Jay Donnelly played Hughes through by Mallards 'keeper Richard Brush darted out quickly to snuff the threat out.

For Ballinamallard, Shane McGinty perhaps came closest with a long shot over from distance but it never really looked like troubling Peter Burke.

The Reds might just have edged the advantage on the stroke of half-time after Jude Winchester stooped to turn a header goalbound but Brush was able to scramble across to make the save.

However, the deadlock was broken in Ballinallard's favour on 56 minutes after McGinty put Ryan Mayse through on the right to fire past Burke in off the left upright.

Cliftonville squandered a golden opportunity to level five minutes from time when, following a challenge on Chris Curran, referee Evan Boyce pointed to the spot but Hughes was unable to beat Brush after the 'keeper dived low to his left to save. It was the fifth time this season Gerard Lyttle's side had failed to convert from the spot out of ten attempts.

The visitors finished the game with ten men following Chris Ramsey's 90th minute booking, his second caution of the game.

Ballinamallard United: Brush, Hutchinson, McKenna, McGinty, Lafferty, McCabe, Mayse, Elliott, McIlwaine, McCartney, McLaughlin subs Morris (replaced Hutchinson 78), Taheny (not used), Owens (replaced Mayse 80), Crawford (not used), Feeney (replaced McCabe 68)

Cliftonville: Burke, Ives, Ramsey, Curran, M. Donnelly, Hughes, Winchester, J. Donnelly, Cosgrove, G. Donnelly, Finnegan subs Mooney (not used), Garrett (replaced G. Donnelly 58), Seydak (not used), Lavery (replaced M. Donnelly 73), Haire (replaced Winchester 66)

Referee: Evan Boyce

Attendance: 372