Curtis Allen (02)
Calum Birney (10)


Calum Birney celebrates after scoring (©INPHO/Stephen Hamilton)


Glentoran moved upto fourth in the table following this Saturday evening defeat of Dungannon Swifts at Stangmore Park.

The Glens needed just two minutes to open the scoring after Curtis Allen directed the ball into the bottom corner after Nathan Kerr had delivered an excellent cross from the right.

Then, on ten minutes, Ross Redman's free-kick delivery from the opposite flank was won in the air by Daniel Kelly and knocked down for Calum Birney to scramble home at the far post.

Allen might have added a third when he tested Stuart Addis from the edge of the area but the Swifts 'keeper got down well to make the save.

At the other end Ryan Mayse might have pulled one back but Elliott Morris proved equal to the challenge, tipping the ball over the bar.

Alan Teggart then saw a goalbound drive deflected wide by the Glentoran defence while, later in the half, Mayse controlled the ball from a corner before shooting for goal but, again, Morris produced a good stop.

After the break, Allen dispossessed Douglas Wilson to release Robbie McDaid but Addis was alert to the danger, rushing off his line to smother the ball.

Chasing a way back, the Swifts were thwarted by Morris again when Cormac Burke's effort from distance was well stopped.

As the half progressed, Tiarnan McNicholl set Allen clear but he couldn't find the target as Addis closed down the angle.

Dungannon Swifts: Addis, Hegarty, Wilson, McMahon, Mayse, McElroy, Harpur, Teggart, O'Rourke, Lowe, McMenamin subs Coleman (not used), Fitzpatrick (replaced Wilson 81), Burke (replaced Mayse 59), Lockhart (replaced Teggart 59), Coyle (not used)

Glentoran: Morris, Kane, Birney, Addis, Kelly, Allen, McMullan, Kerr, Redman, McCawl, McDaid subs Davidson (not used), McNicholl (replaced McCawl 63), Knowles (replaced McDaid 75), Smith (not used), Foley (replaced Allen 90+3)

Referee: Evan Boyce

Attendance: 545

Tags:  Dungannon Swifts  Glentoran