Emmet Bennett (24)
Brandon Doyle (26)


Tony Kane (38)


Brandon Doyle doubled Warrenpoint's lead (©INPHO/Matt Mackey)


Warrenpoint Town collected a crucial three points with victory over struggling Ballymena United at Milltown.

Barry Gray's side hit the visitors with two goals in as many minutes midway through the first half.

Emmet Bennett opened the scoring on 24 minutes with a header from the rebound after Ballymena keeper Ross Glendinning punched away a free-kick.

Then, just a couple of minutes after that, Brandon Doyle made it 2-0 when he collected the ball from Alan O'Sullivan before beating Glendinning after running into the left side of the area.

Lorcan Forde almost added a third for 'Point just after the half-hour mark but was thwarted by a superb Glendinning stop.

Ballymena pulled a goal back on 38 minutes through Tony Kane who forced the ball home from close range after Kenny Kane had knocked back Steven McCullough's corner.

After the break Forde tested Glendinning again but it was the visitors that looked the more likely to find the net with Andy McGrory directing a header just wide after Jonny Addis had lifted a ball into the box.

Adam Lecky and Tony Kane had later chances cleared before home keeper Mark Byrne got down well to hold onto an Addis effort.

Yet Warrenpoint could have extended their advantage when first Doyle and then Bennett struck the crossbar and base of the post respectively in stoppage time.

Warrenpoint Town: Byrne, Bennett, Reilly, O'Sullivan, Doyle, Forde, Watters, Cowan, Wallace, Mullen, Murnaghan subs Turker (not used), Smith (not used), O'Connor (replaced Forde 73), Lynch (not used), McCann (not used), O'Kane (not used)

Ballymena United: Glendinning, T. Kane, Addis, McGinty, Knowles, McCullough, Balmer, McGrory, K. Kane, Lecky, Ervin subs Williamson (not used), Mayse (replaced K. Kane 67), Harpur (not used), Andrew Burns (not used), Glendinning (not used), Brown (not used), Lavery (replaced Knowles 77)

Referee: Jamie Robinson