Alan McMurtry (75p)


Alan McMurtry (left) celebrates his winner for Lisburn Distillery against Portstewart (Picture © David Hunter)


An Alan McMurtry spot-kick earned Lisburn Distillery a maximum return from this visit to Portstewart.

The 20-year-old knocked home his fourth goal of the campaign with a quarter-of-an-hour remaining to keep the Whites hard on the heels of Queen's University in second spot.

Despite the eventual outcome, Portstewart started the brighter of the two sides with Richard Vauls nodding James Peden's free-kick just wide as early as the third minute.

At the other end Aaron Harris came closest to breaking the deadlock just after the half-hour mark with a curling free-kick around the wall which skimmed the outside the post.

The Seahawks struck an upright themselves soon after when Eoghan Quigg's cross found Luke McDowell who hit the post before Adam Wright blocked Lee Forgrave's attempted follow up.

After the break Timmy Clarke tested home 'keeper Lukasz Bednarz from distance, and the Portstewart custodian was called into action again after that to deny Mikey Withers' header.

Distillery did have the ball in the net on 55 minutes when Wright headed home from a corner only for the referee to disallow it after spotting an infringement.

Visiting 'keeper Patrick Saunders kept the scores level close to the hour with a superb stop, diving to his right to tip a first time Glenn Law volley to safety.

But sides were eventually separated when McMurtry stepped up to convert what proved to be the winner for the Whites.

Portstewart: Bednarz, Peden, Bradley, McCauley, Lindsay, Vauls, Forgrave, Law, Quigg, Doherty, McDowell subs Stewart (replaced Quigg 79), Mullan (replaced Bradley 65), Heneghan (not used), Neill (replaced McDowell 65)

Lisburn Distillery: Saunders, McMurtry, Clarke, Moore, A. Wright, Hislop, Harris, Withers, Young, Ferguson, Beta subs Nicholl (not used), Curley (not used), Corry (replaced Hislop 79), Reid (replaced Harris 85), Workman (replaced Beta 70)

Referee: Barry Maxwell