Caolan Loughran (18)


Nathaniel Ferris (44)


Nathaniel Ferris levelled for Loughgall before the break (Picture: Tony Hendron/


Loughgall picked up their first away point of the season following this draw with Carrick Rangers.

Carrick moved in front after 18 minutes courtesy of a superbly executed Caolan Loughran free-kick which he curled low into the net from outside the area.

Ashton McDermott then looked to make it two for the hosts as he collected the ball on the edge of the area, however he curled his shot over the crossbar.

Just before the interval the Villagers found their equaliser. Some slack defending from Carrick culminated in Nathaniel Ferris reacting quickest to Aaron Hogg's parried save to nod the ball into the back of the net, levelling affairs at the break.

Striker Michael Smith looked to restore Rangers' lead ten minutes into the second half when he went one-on-one with Daniel Acheson inside the area, but he sent his shot wide of the near post.

At the other end, Ferris looked for his brace as he sent a low strike skimming past the post. Stewart Nixon then created himself some space just outside the area however his effort was wide of the target.

With twenty minutes remaining, Gary Warwick replaced Martin Murray as Niall Currie's side went in search of a winning goal. That substitution nearly paid dividends soon after as Warwick raced through on goal, but his lobbed effort went over the bar.

Loughgall pressed for all three points also, with substitute Marc McConnell sending a low, powerful shot just wide of the post. 

The game ended on a sour note for Carrick after Smith's reaction to a late tackle saw him shown a straight red card just before the final whistle was blown.

Carrick Rangers: Hogg, Chapman, Neale, Kelly, Rodgers, Loughran, Anderson, McDermott, Murray, Nixon, M. Smith subs McDowell (replaced Nixon 85), McCauley (not used), Brennan (replaced Rodgers 88), Houston (not used), Warwick (replaced Murray 71)

Loughgall: Acheson, Rea, McVeigh, Taylor, Bell, Gibson, McCullough, Ferguson, Ferris, Hoey, Campbell subs McConnell (replaced Ferguson 78), Dallas (replaced Hoey 78), Liggett (replaced Ferris 72), Stewart (not used), Neill (not used)

Referee: Ken Gibbons

Tags:  Carrick Rangers  Loughgall