Hugh Carlin (84)


Martin Donnelly (13)
Patrick McNally (58)
David McDaid (90 2)


@Larne Football Club


League leaders Larne continued their unbeaten start to the campaign with an away day victory over Limavady United.

The visitors opened the scoring after 13 minutes through Marty Donnelly who pounced after the ball fell into his path to fire low into the bottom corner.

United had a glorious chance to equalise within two minutes, as a free kick into the box was headed down and seemed goal bound before Conor Devlin leapt to push the ball out but only to Johnny Hume in the six yard box, who could not put the ball into the net from a wide angle. 

Larne spent the next ten minutes dominating the play, nearly scoring again after a swift counter-attack was foiled by Shane Boyle hacking the ball clear.

But United continued to defend stoutly, and could have levelled on 25 minutes, when a long range free kick hoisted into the box by Gary McFadden was met by Boyle but his header was weak.

On 33 minutes Aidan McCauley shanked a long ball over the bar when he collected a Oran McConnell charge down. The last chance of the half was a 38th minute cross into United's box, Jeff but Hughes side footed wide.

The second half was a lot less even with Larne dominant for long periods. 

Two minutes in a mix up in the home defence saw the ball fall to Donnelly, whose audacious chip went narrowly wide.

Just before the hour Larne were awarded a penalty, when Marcus O'Kane's clumsy challenge was penalised, but Wells Wells produced a stunning save to turn Donnelly's spot kick round the post. Limavady's relief was instantly quenched however, as Paddy McNally rose highest to head in the corner.

Larne now turned on the style, and Wells had to react swiftly to save another good effort, low at his near post.

As the minutes ran down, the Roesiders were chasing shadows and pegged back, except for occasional breaks by Hume, which were snuffed out. Wells was at his best again on 78 minutes, diving to parry a David McDaid volley.

On 86 minutes the home side's perseverence was rewarded, when Hugh Carlin picked up a loose ball in the box to slam the ball home.

For a brief moment the visitors were unsettled, and United had a deflected effort that could have gone anywhere. But the points were safe on 89 minutes, when McDaid was tripped in the box and got up to score the penalty.

Limavady United: Wells, O'Kane, Gareth McFadden, McMullan, Boyle, Carlin, McCauley, Gary McFadden, O'Connell, Hume, Doherty subs Brown (not used), Duffy (replaced McCauley 66), Devine (not used), McGurk (not used), Pomeroy (replaced McConnell 73)

Larne: Devlin, Sule, Finnegan, Kelly, Stewart, Donnelly, Stuart, Tilney, McNally, Cosgrove, Hughes subs Dougherty (not used), McEleney (replaced Finnegan 46), McDaid (replaced Stuart 63), Osei-Bonsu (not used), Hassin (replaced Tilney 82)

Referee: Declan Hassan

Tags:  Larne  Limavady Utd