Paul McDowell (80p)


Darragh McBrien (55)
Ryan Campbell (57)
Darragh McBrien (58)


Darragh McBrien scored twice for Ballinamallard (Picture: Stephen Hamilton/


Ballinamallard United scored three goals in four minutes to take all three points and their second win in a row with victory over Carrick Rangers. 

It was a quick start to the match as home debutant Jake Moore struck a powerful shot towards goal, but experienced keeper John Connolly was equal to it. 

At the other end, a cross from the right was met by Joshua McIlwaine who headed just past the upright. 

Carrick's top goalscorer, Michael Smith, then had a chance when one-on-one with Connolly, however his low effort was gathered by the keeper. 

Daniel Kelly then connected with Reece Neale's delivery, but his header was wide of the mark. 

Experienced striker Ryan Campbell had a chance after 10 minutes when the ball fell to him from close range, but his powerful strike flew well over. 

Campbell had another opportunity on the half hour mark as his low shot from just inside the area skimmed past the post, leaving it scoreless at the break. 

Niall Currie's side had a chance five minutes into the second half as they won a free-kick just outside the area; Caolan Loughran delivered a powerful low strike, but Connolly got down to palm away his effort. 

On the 55th minute, the Mallards took the lead. A cross to the back post from the right flank caught the home defence out, allowing Darragh McBrien to capitalise as he headed into the back of the net. 

Two minutes later, Harry McConkey's side added a second. A simple ball through the heart of the Rangers defence was picked up by Campbell who raced through to round Aaron Hogg and apply an easy finish. 

And again, just two minutes later, the County Fermanagh side found the net. A corner-kick found McBrien who met the ball unchallenged for his second goal of the afternoon. 

The hosts then made a change as Gary Warwick replaced Jake Moore in an attempt to spark a comeback. 

It was nearly a fourth for the Ferney Park outfit soon after as McIlwaine put the ball past Hogg however Loughran managed to track back in time and make a goal line clearance. 

Further substitutions then followed, with Fra Brennan and Paul McDowell replacing Chris Rodgers and Michael Smith respectively. 

With ten minutes remaining, the home side pulled a goal back. A foul on Lee Chapman in the area saw referee Mark Dillon point to the penalty spot, as substitute McDowell stepped up to send Connolly the wrong way. 

Ashton McDermott then tried to reduce the deficit further, however his strike from the edge of the area went just over the bar. 

Michael Glynn nearly added another goal for the visitors at the death, but his strike came back off the post, rounding off a frustrating day for the Taylors Avenue side.

Carrick Rangers: Hogg, Chapman, Neale, Surgenor, Rodgers, Loughran, Anderson, McDermott, Kelly, Moore, M. Smith subs  McDowell (replaced Smith 78), Warwick (replaced Moore 67), McCauley (not used), Gage (not used), Brennan (replaced Rodgers 74)

Ballinamallard United: Connolly, Smyth, Clarke, Campbell, McCartney, McIlwaine, Cashel, McCann, O'Reilly, Henderson, McBrien subs Arkinson (replaced Cashel 74), McManus (replaced Campbell 83), Kelly (not used), Glynn (replaced McBrien 67), Edgar (not used)

Referee: Mark Dillon