Ryan Campbell (09)
Richard Lecky (50)


Stephen Murray (60p)
John McGuigan (67)
Stephen Murray (75)


Stephen Murray scored twice for the league leaders (Picture: Philip Magowan/PressEye.com)


Warrenpoint Town demonstrated exactly why they are favourites to win the Championship by coming from two goals down to edge out Dergview at Darragh Park.

Goals by Ryan Campbell and Richard Lecky had the home side in the driving seat early in the second half but the Milltown men stormed back to claim all three points.

A Stephen Murray penalty launched the remarkable revival and, after John McGuigan levelled matters direct from a corner, it was Murray who claimed the deciding goal by capitalising on a defensive mix up 10 minutes from time.

The game brought together former Portadown team-mates Richard Clarke and Matthew Tipton, who a few weeks back took over the reins from Barry Gray as the new Town boss.

Initially it looked as if Clarke might won the bragging rights as the home side took the game to the league leaders.

In fact, it took just six minutes for the hosts to register their intent. An exquisite ball by Jude Ballard released Ivan Sproule, who, in turn, picked out Campbell for the opening goal.

Shortly afterwards it could have been 2-0. Sproule was again the creator but this time Campbell steered his shot past a post.

Ruairi Croskery did something similar when well placed at the opposite end of the pitch as the first half ended with Dergview maintaining their slender advantage.

An all-out Warrenpoint assault was anticipated after the break, however it was Dergview, who initially came out all guns blazing.

Just two minutes in, Aaron Arkinson, who the previous week grabbed a dramatic late winner against Knockbreda, blazed inches over before Campbell had an effort deflected wide.

A minute later Dergview doubled their lead when a Matthew Buchanan shot was parried by Town keeper Johnny Parr and big Lecky swooped to score.

Town boss Tipton immediately rolled the dice by introducing Lorcan Forde and Liam McKenna and within a matter of minutes the visitors had pulled a goal back.

Dergview defender Gareth Porter was adjudged to have fouled Conor McMenamin in the penalty box and Murray duly converted the resultant penalty.

Dergview responded and Campbell went close to restoring their two-goal advantage when the striker was inches off target with an overhead kick.

By now though Town had the bit firmly between their teeth as McMenamin had a shot blocked by home defender Garth Falconer.

McGuigan though wasn't to be denied and in the 73rd minute his whipped corner evaded everyone to some how end up in the back of the net.

At this stage the momentum was firmly with the visitors and with 10 minutes remaining they produced the knockout blow. Home keeper Kealan Mulcahy and a defender appeared to collide and the ball broke to Murray who needed no second invitation to steer home the winner.

Dergview: Mulcahy, G. Porter, Falconer, M. Buchanan, Robinson, McManus, Ballard, Arkinson, I. Sproule, Campbell, Lecky subs Burns (replaced Arkinson 77), Lynch (not used), S. Porter (replaced I. Sproule 90+1), Curran (replaced Lecky 75)

Warrenpoint Town: Parr, King, McGuigan, Traynor, McMenamin, Moan, Murray, Lynch, Dane, Boyle, Croskery subs Maguire (not used), Devlin (not used), Forde (replaced Croskery 52), McKenna (replaced Lynch 52), Bain (not used)

Referee: Tim Marshall

Tags:  Dergview  Warrenpoint Town