Simon McGlynn (04)


Scott McMillan (70)


Garth Falconer missed a late penalty for Dergview (Picture: Freddie Parkinson/


Garth Falconer missed a late penalty as Dergview for the second week running had to settle for a share of the spoils at Darragh Park on Saturday.

With just two minutes remaining match official Oisin Mahon pointed to the spot for a foul on striker Ryan Campbell but Welders stopper Jason Craughwell saved Falconer's poorly-struck penalty to deny Richard Clarke's charges their first league win of the season.

At that stage the contest was perfectly-poised as substitute Scott McMillan's header had cancelled out Simon McGlynn's fourth minute opener.

Dergview went into the game looking for their first maximum of the season and Clarke's team couldn't have asked for a better start.

Just four minutes in the visiting defence stood rooted to the spot as Richard Lynch whipped over an in-swinging cross from the left which McGlynn controlled and prodded past Craughwell at the second attempt.

It could have been even better for the hosts just seven minutes later. Matthew Buchanan intercepted a pass in midfield and immediately released Campbell, who had his low shot saved by Craughwell's legs.

Following that stuttering start, the visitors quickly settled to the task and Gary Smyth's charges had a glorious opportunity to level when a searching cross-field pass from Gary Spence sent David Rainey clear but, just as his opposite number had done moments earlier, Stefan McCusker saved with his legs.

Welders, too, had another excellent chance on the half hour mark as Lukasz Gwiazda glanced a left-sided delivery inches past McCusker's back post.

The visitors shaded the verdict for the remainder of the half but on the stroke of half-time Dergview should have doubled their advantage.

A perfectly-weighted through ball by Adam Buchanan sent Campbell galloping clear to round the keeper but the striker elected to shoot from an acute angle instead of squaring to the unmarked Godfrey and his effort was blocked on the line.

Dergivew also had the first meaningful opening of the second period with Godfrey rolling his marker to stab inches wide after a clever pass from strike partner Campbell.

If anything, though, Welders were carrying the greater threat and on 72 minutes the East Belfast outfit drew level. David Graham sent the overlapping William Armstrong galloping clear on the left and he picked out fellow substitute McMillan with a peach of a first-time cross to head home.

Shortly afterwards the same combination almost produced a second but on this occasion McMillan's first-time attempt fizzed past a post.

By no means was it all one-way traffic though and with time fast running out Dergview were presented with a golden opportunity to claim all three points when the referee pointed to the spot after Campbell had been sent sprawling.

Craughwell saved Falconer's spot-kick and was relieved when the taker was then penalised as he forced the ball home on the rebound.

And that wasn't quite the end of the drama either. Ross Arthurs, unmarked, headed wide a pinpoint Rainey cross at the opposite end and right at the death Welders substitute Chris Middleton headed an Aaron Arkinson delivery over his own crossbar with Falconer breathing his neck.

Dergview: McCusker, Patterson, Falconer, Wray, McNulty, M. Buchanan, A. Buchanan, McGlynn, Lynch, Campbell, Godfrey subs Porter (replaced Patterson 31), McCorkell (replaced A. Buchanan 77), Arkinson (replaced McGlynn 72), Taylor (not used), Callaghan (not used)

HW Welders: Craughwell, Spence, McMurray, Boyd, Nelson, Harris, Deans, Graham, Gwiazda, Arthurs, Rainey subs Bonnes (not used), McMillan (replaced Spence 34), Middleton (replaced Boyd 70), Malone (not used), Armstrong (replaced Nelson 70)

Referee: Oisin Mahon

Tags:  Dergview  HW Welders