Tiarnan Rushe (16)
Conor Mullen (23)
Matthew Hynds (54)
Conor Mullen (56)


Nathaniel Ferris (81)
Aaron Duke (85)


Matthew Hynds scored for City in their win over Annagh United (Picture: Tony Hendron/PressEye.com)


Armagh City made it two wins out of two in 2017 with a comfortable win over Annagh United at Holm Park.

The opening quarter hour saw little in the way of goalmouth action as neither side were able to get any real control of the game.

The deadlock was broken just after a quarter-of-an-hour had elapsed when Tiarnan Rushe latched onto a fine through ball before slotting his shot past debutant 'keeper Danny Devine.

City took control of the game from then and it was little suprise when they doubled their lead seven minutes later. This time it was the hardworking Conor Mullen who headed home a Sean Mallon cross for his first goal since his return to the club.

Minutes later a superb Rushe cross was deflected out of the path of the inrushing Mullen when it looked as if he would have a simple tap in.

The visitors were restricted to counter attacks and from one of these Aaron Duke should probably have opened his account for his new club when the ball flashed across the face of the City goal.

It was, however, City that were making the majority of the chances with a Mullen shot going narrowly over the crossbar and minutes from the interval the same player clipped the corner of post and crossbar with a freekick from just outside the box.

The second half started as the first half had ended with the home side well on top.

They extended their lead nine minutes in when a superb Rushe cross from the left was met in the air at the back post by Matthew Hynds who headed home.

A couple of minutes later they added a fourth this time Mullen heading home for his second of the afternoon.

He almost completed his hattrick shortly afterwards when he met Dale Montgomery's excellent cross on the volley but his effort went inches wide of the left hand post.

In the final fifteen minutes City took their foot off the pedal and allowed Annagh to come more into the match.

It was no suprise therefore that when a ball broke kindly to Annagh new signing Nathaniel Ferris on the edge of the area that he place an excellent effort into the top corner giving home 'keeper John Connolly no chance.

Minutes later they doubled their tally when Duke also scored his first goal on his debut for his new club.

Armagh City: Connolly, Montgomery, Toal, Lennon, Carville, Hynds, Kelly, McSorley, Mallon, Mullen, Rushe subs Grimley (replaced Mallon 76), McQuaid (replaced Rushe 76), Blevins (replaced Carville 83), Boyle (not used), Graham (not used)

Annagh United: Devine, Webb, C. Stewart, Campbell, White, Adair, McCann, Judge, Duke, Taylor, Ferris subs Eagles (replaced Taylor 68), Rae (replaced Adair 68), McElroy (replaced Webb 61), Rea (not used), Murphy (not used)

Referee: Glenn Taylor

Tags:  Annagh United  Armagh City